Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Don't waste food! There are starving kids in Africa - or just donate $10



You often hear "Don't waste your food, there are starving kids in Africa!" That is definitely true and after going to Tucano's or Chuckarama or on a cruise, you realize how much food gets wasted everyday. It is nuts. Sometimes it makes me a little ashamed to be an American, or at least a part of a culture where this is mainstream. I have sometimes wanted to try to start some great thing to help starving people in Africa. One of my best friends has gone there and done some awesome things with foundations like Mothers Without Borders. And my little sister is going to Africa this summer to do humanitarian work as well!



I think all these things are great. And I think that as many as can go, should go and help in every way they can. I also think that leadership and good government can change a people and a country. There is a man named Yeah Samake who is running for president of Mali, the second most poverty-stricken country in Africa. He is an amazing man. I met him last night. He is a member of the church that I am a member of, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe that the change that came from his leadership would have a more powerful effect to help starving people in Africa than would donating to little causes or going over there and building a school in a village (not that these are bad). But they are more like giving a fish than teaching how to fish. Mayor Samake needs money for his campaign and I'm asking anyone who is reading this to go to www.yeahsamake2012.com and donate $5 or $10 or $20. Watch his video at the bottom of this post. It is impressive. He is a humble man who would do so much good as the president of this poor country.



I don't have many followers on my blog, but I know people read it. There were over 3,000 unique views last year and over 400 last month. So if every person who read this donated to Mayor Samake, that would be a good start. And if you told your friends, that would be even better. It is a great thing to do. Do it! Go to this website to donate: www.yeahsamake2012.com


Here is a neat video of his story:


No comments:

Post a Comment